Equine Sports Massage
Equine sports massage is the therapeutic application of professional sports massage techniques applied to the horse. A thorough understanding of anatomy and the interaction of bones, joints and muscles are the basis of the proven physical and mental therapy that is the art of massage.
A practitioner looks at the horse as a whole and attempts to consider all possible causes and effects of any tension while interpreting a horses reactions and expressions.
Does your horse do or show signs of any of the following:
Dislikes being groomed
- Poor or altered performance
- Prefers one rein
- Show lateral stiffness
- Reluctant to canter on one lead, becomes disunited
- Hollow backed
- Abnormally high head carriage
- Head shaking
- 'Cold backed' when tacked up
- Lack of poll flexion and bend
- Head tilting
- Have an uneven stride length
- Altered tail carriage
- Reluctance to go up or down hills
- Excessive rolling or reluctance to roll
All of the above can be signs of pain and discomfort and should be investigated.
Few Human athletes would compete without preparing their bodies using massage and stretching exercises, so it is rather surprising that for the supreme athlete - the horse - this is virtually unheard of!